Saturday, November 18, 2006

All the World’s a Stage

All the World’s a Stage

ACT 1

The stage is set up in 2 sections.

Stage left is set up to look like a small theatre. On the “stage” of this theatre is a kitchen with 4 chairs and a table. Two men sit in the chairs motionless. This section of the stage is in darkness.

Stage right is a small café with a few chairs and tables. It is evening. This section of the stage is lit.
Christopher sits, reading a magazine. Sophie enters.

Sophie: Hi Chris.
Christopher: (putting down his magazine.) Hi Sophie.
Sophie: What’s new?
Christopher: Not much. (Sophie sits).
Christopher: Oh, I went to see a play last night.
Sophie: Was it good?
Christopher: Yes. It was very interesting. Would you like me tell you about it?
Sophie: Yes I would.

=============================
Lights dim on stage right and come up on stage left.
Dave and Joe are characters in the “play within the play” sitting on chairs in a kitchen. They are having lunch. We join them partly into their conversation.

Dave: (putting down a sandwich). Joe, I’ve been thinking that things here are not the way they seem to be.
Joe: You mean right here Dave?
Dave: Yeah. Right here… and everywhere…. I’ve been noticing that ..(looking around) Do you hear that?
Joe: What?
(Dave cocks his head and listens.)
Dave: It sounds like there are people here. I can hear them.
Joe: (looking around): I don’t see them. What are they saying?
Dave: Something about……going to the theatre?
Joe: I don’t hear anything. Are you alright Dave? Didn’t you tell me you’d been to see your physician?
Dave: Yes. That’s true. I told him that I have lost interest in everything.… except
Joe: Except what?
Dave: ….except this mystery that’s haunting me. My mind’s in constant turmoil. But then sometimes it goes completely still and I start to sense that something is going on here behind the scenes.
Joe: (friendly attitude) Hmmm.
(Dave gets up and pours himself another glass of water. We notice that he does not offer Joe a glass.)
Dave: For example… me and this glass of water.
Joe: (enthusiastiacally) Yeah. Water is quite a scientific mystery. The qualities of water are really unusual.
Dave That’s true. But that’s not it. If I have a glass of water in my hand….then there is… me… and there is the glass of water.
Joe: (in a friendly, teasing way) Does the water talk to you Dave?
Dave: (smiling) No. Of course not. But there’s something strange – I just can’t put my finger on it. Something to do with me being here, in this place. Something I should remember. It’s really frustrating.
Joe: I bet.
Dave: And for some reason I’ve been thinking a lot about those Bible stories I learned as a kid. If the world is just as it seems, how do you explain those unbelievable stories about Jesus Christ.
Joe: Well I really don’t give them much thought Dave. What do you think?
Dave: Well take the story of Christ and John the Baptist. It’s weird, but sometimes, I feel as if I’m actually there.
(Dave begins to act out the story as if he is in it. He approaches a pretend river. He uses his hands to show us the action.)
Dave: I see a river running through a rocky, desert area. There are people all around and a big guy is standing in the river. He looks straight at me. For a moment I feel as if I am him, in the river looking at myself on the bank. I walk into the river and he has been expecting me. He pushes my head under the water and holds it there. Jesus Christ, he’s trying to drown me. I struggle and then everything goes completely still. I see my whole life pass before me.
Then he pulls me up and everything is different. It is like I have been asleep my whole life and now I am suddenly awake in the real world.
Joe. Wow! You really have a vivid imagination Dave.
(Christopher coughs quietly in stage right.)
Dave: Shhh. Did you hear that?
==================================
Lights dim on stage left and come up on stage right.

Christopher: Then there was a break in the action for some reason.
Sophie: Chris, I love the story about John the Baptist. It’s a story that works on so many different levels.
Christopher: Different levels?
Sophie: Yeah. Like a metaphor. Where something is like something else. (At this moment a waitress passes by and Sophie motions to the waitress) Can I have a glass of water please?
(Turning back to Christopher). Here’s what I mean.
The story at one level is about a man who has spent his whole life searching for something. Eventually he finds a man who knows some of the answers – that’s represented by the man in the water. And this man initiates the first man into many mysteries. He is able to help the first man to attain a new state of consciousness, a state represented symbolically by the word “water”. (The waitress delivers the water to Sophie and Sophie says to the waitress). Thank you.
Christopher (apparently struggling to put the pieces together): Let me think about this. So first there’s water. And then later …there’s the story of “changing water into wine” – that could be a metaphor as well – representing a man rising to an even higher state.
Sophie: Yes. Like a caterpillar changing into a butterfly. Fascinating isn’t it. And the story can also be taken in a completely different way. In this way, all the people and places in the story represent things going on in the inner world of an individual person who is striving to awaken. So “river” and “rocks” and “desert” and even “John the Baptist” are not just physical things but also represent internal things.
Christopher: Wow!

Sophie is about to say more when Mary (a friend of Sophie and Christopher) comes in from stage right.

Sophie and Christopher together (as Mary sits down): Hi Mary.
Mary: Hi guys.
Sophie: Chris was just telling me about a play he saw last night.
Mary: Was it interesting? I’d love to hear about it.

==============================
Lights dim on stage right and come up on stage left.

Dave: Joe, I thought I heard something.
Joe: (with surprise and concern) Yeah, me too.
(Kathryn enters stage left. Kathryn is attractive and coquettish)
Dave and Joe: Hi Kathryn.
Kathryn: Hi guys.
Joe: (Turning to Dave) It was probably just Kathryn that we heard.
Dave: I’m not so sure.
(Kathryn sits down close to Dave. They are obviously infatuated with each other.)
Joe: Kathryn,… Dave tells me he’s hearing things and taking exotic trips to Biblical times.
Kathryn: (smiling) What? (turning serious) You’re not taking drugs are you Dave?
Dave: No. No, I’m not. Forget that idea. (trying to change the subject) So what have you been doing Kathryn?
Kathryn: I’ve been studying for an exam. It’s tomorrow.
Dave: Is it for one of your psychology courses?
Kathryn: Yeah. It’s about the psychologist Carl Jung.
(Dave and Joe look at each other - impressed but mischievous)
Dave: (singing) Fairy tales can come true it can happen to you (Joe joins in so both are now signing) ..if you’re Jung at heart.(both break into laughter )
Kathryn: (laughing) Well you 2 clowns are just impossible. Anyway I have to go. I need to be wide awake for the exam. See you Saturday Dave?
Dave: For sure. I’m looking forward to it. And good luck with the exam.
Kathryn. Thanks.
Dave and Joe: Bye Kathryn.
Kathryn: Bye guys.
(Kathryn leaves stage left).
Joe: What a babe. What’s happening Saturday Dave?
Dave: Only time will tell.

=================================================
Lights dim on stage left and come up on stage right.

Sophie: What time is it? (looks at her watch) Oh it’s late! Sorry Chris, I gotta go. I have a lot to do tomorrow. Bye. (Sophie leaves stage right)
Christopher and Mary together: Bye Sophie.
Mary: Lovely girl.
Christopher: Yes, she is very sweet. (Clearly Christopher is very fond of Sophie. Mary notices that.)
Christopher: So this play starting me thinking ….that ….well for example… I am here. (Christopher emphasizes the word “I”)
Mary: Right. (Mary is not sure where this is going)
Christopher: And you are there.
Mary: Right (Mary is still not sure where this is going)
Christopher: And you exist.
Mary: (teasingly) I believe so.
Christopher: But where are you?
Mary: Right here in this chair.
Christopher: (Standing and walking a few paces, looking at Mary): Yes, I can see your body there, but where are you.
Mary: (struggling with something in her mind): Hmm. Well. That’s a good question. I haven’t really thought about that.
Christopher: Are you in your body somewhere?
Mary: Well….yes…it seems that way.
Christopher: If scientists were to look inside your arm would they find you there?
Mary. No…that’s silly.
Christopher: How about if they were to look inside your brain?
Mary: Hmmm….no they wouldn’t find me there either. This is perplexing.
Christopher: So you exist… but you are invisible. I can’t see you. And you can’t see my invisible self either.
Mary: That’s true.
Christopher: But science tells us that there is no invisible stuff, just material stuff like tables and chairs and planets and brains. Perhaps things are not the way they seem to be.
Mary: Perhaps not.

Lights slowly fade.

================================

ACT 2

The stage is once again in 2 sections. Only stage right is lit.
It is a lovely sunny day but later it will cloud over.
Christopher and Sophie are on a picnic. There is food, a checkered cloth and a bottle of red wine.

Christopher (eating): This is delicious. You are an amazing lady.
Sophie: Well thank you sir. And I’m looking forward to having some of that wine you brought. (She reaches for the bottle but stops.) Could you tell me more about the play you saw? I’ve been thinking about it for days. (She doesn’t drink the wine).
Christopher: I’d love to. But first can you tell me more about metaphors? What you said the other night was fascinating.
Sophie: Well the idea is that things can be going on at different levels at exactly the same time, in exactly the same place. And things at one level can stand for things at another level.
Christopher: Like physical “water” and “wine” at one level representing internal things at another level.
Sophie: Yes. Exactly.
Christopher: But I still don’t really get it.
Sophie: You can use your emotions to “get it”.
Christopher: My emotions? How do I do that?
Sophie (standing up and stretching). Well you like me, right?
Christopher: (seriously) Very much.
Sophie: Do you feel differently when you are with me.
Christopher: Yes I do…. In fact, I’ve never told you this, but sometimes, when we’re together, I feel that you and I are Adam and Eve and have just walked into a new world.
Sophie. Wow …that’s beautiful Chris. (Sophie pauses to relish the moment). So we are both here – but Adam and Eve are also here. Their living spirits animate us. Both levels are alive and present right here, right now.
Christopher: Hmm. I think I understand… but it slips away from me.
Sophie: (mock serious) Now you better tell me more about that play of yours or I will slip away. (Sophie emphasizes the word “I”)
Christopher: Well did I tell you about the 2nd act? It starts with Dave and the lovely Kathryn on a streetcar.
Sophie: Oooh, that sounds romantic. Where are they going?
Christopher: They’re going on a picnic.
Sophie (slightly annoyed because she thinks Christopher is making fun of her): Oh brother. What is this? They’re going on a picnic?
Christopher: Yes. That’s what happened. But they have a big argument on the streetcar and never get to the picnic. Something about types and archetypes starts it.
Sophie: What?
Christopher: I know it sounds strange but they get into this long and boring argument about types and archetypes. All of us in the audience wanted the argument to end because we were really rooting for them. But by the end of Act 2 everything was a mess.
Sophie: How sad.
Christopher: Yes, it was.
(A long and uncomfortable silence comes between them).
Sophie: It looks like it’s starting to rain.
Christopher (sadly). Yes, we should pack up. Perhaps we’ll have the wine another time. We better run.
Stage right goes dark as Christopher and Sophie quickly exit stage right.

================================================
Stage left lights up.
Dave and Kathryn are on a streetcar. They have the makings of a picnic including a bottle of red wine.

Kathryn: What a lovely day. I’m so glad you asked me out.
Dave: And your idea of a picnic is fantastic. I hope you like the wine I brought.
Kathryn: I’m sure I will. I wanted to tell you about my course. It’s about types and archetypes
Dave: Wow, not only beautiful but smart as well. Tell me about it.
Kathryn: Well the idea is that behind the things we see with our senses is another realm. And in this realm are living types and archetypes that animate and direct the physical world.
Dave: That reminds me of Plato.
Kathryn: Oh, I think that’s completely different.
Dave: Really?
Kathryn: Yeah, that’s all about “forms” and “ideas” and “shadows” and stuff.
Dave: Is that not the same?
Kathryn: Of course not. Why are you trying to change the topic? How come whenever I want to talk about something that interests me you turn it into something else?
Dave: I don’t do that!
Kathryn: Yes you do – I have certainly seen that pattern before.
Dave: Oh brother. You and your patterns. Can’t we just enjoy ourselves?
Kathryn: I don’t think I can enjoy myself now.
Dave: (Trying to save the situation) Could you tell me a little bit more about types and archetypes?
(For a moment it looks like Kathryn will put aside her upset - but then her face hardens.)
Kathryn: I would like to go home now. And you can keep your silly wine – I don’t like red anyway.
(Kathryn and Dave sit in silence as the lights fade).

Act 3

The stage is once again in 2 sections. Only stage right is lit.
Sophie and Mary are standing talking.

Sophie: That was a really odd play that Chris was telling us about.
Mary: You’re not kidding. But it certainly makes you think.
Sophie: Yes. It’s almost as if the characters are just as alive as we are.
(Christopher enters from stage right).
Sophie and Mary: Hi Chris.
Christopher: Hi ladies. How are things?
Sophie: Mary and I were just talking about the play you saw. Mary was filling me in on the parts that I missed and vice versa.
Mary: Yes. Can you tell us about the 3rd act now?
Christopher: Ahh. The 3rd act. Very strange. They really turned the tables on us.
Sophie: What do you mean?
Christopher: Well, here’s how it went.

=============================
Dave is alone in stage left. Kathryn enters from stage left and walks up to Dave.

Kathryn. I’m really sorry about our ruined picnic.
Dave: Me too.
Kathryn: Can we be friends again?
Dave: Sure. We never stopped being friends.….That’s funny. I sense something… or I feel something.
Kathryn: What is it?
Dave: I’m not sure. I‘m starting to feel as if … as if I’m a character in a play.
Kathryn: That sounds weird. What is that like?
Dave: There is no me. At least not as I have always known myself.
Kathryn: (Looking around with some concern.) I’m starting to feel that way too. (She holds Dave’s hand)
Dave and Kathryn are looking around anxiously when Joe enters from stage left.
Joe: Hi guys. How’s it goin’?
Kathryn: Well not so good actually. Dave and I are starting to feel that we are characters in a play.
Joe: What? Is this Dave’s idea? Dave, didn’t your physician straighten you out?
Dave: Joe, I didn’t go to my physician. I went to a meta-physician. And he was a great help. He was able to explain my symptoms perfectly. Turns out I have a very common condition. But it is not diagnosed correctly very often. And there is no cure at this level.
Joe: At this level? Well I’m lost. Where did I come in? (He pretends to be looking for an exit).
Kathryn: Hold on a moment Joe. Dave is on to something.
Dave: If we are very quiet we may be able to sort this out.

=================================
Stage left darkens and stage right lights up.

Christopher: So they are characters in a play.
Mary: (slightly annoyed): Of course they are characters in a play. We all know that. But I think it is very rude of the author to allow them to realize it.
Sophie: I agree. It makes it very distressing for them and really what can they do about it?
Christopher: I don’t think we can fault the author. Isn’t it much better for them to know their true state so they can escape their imaginary lives? If you were characters in a play wouldn’t you want to know?
Mary: I’m not so sure.
Sophie: So how does the play end?

===================================
Stage right darkens and stage left lights up.

Kathryn: Dave, if we are characters in a play, then there should an audience out there someplace.
Dave: Yeah. That makes sense (peering around, including looking into the audience – but seeing nothing) But I don’t see them. Is there some direction we can turn to see this audience?
Joe: Just a minute….. if this is a play, then there must be an author. Where is he? Can we communicate with him?
Kathryn (looking around) Maybe he’s been here all this time!
Dave: Guys ..something strange is happening to me. I feel separated from myself….. (wonderingly) …There really is a me. I remember now.
Kathryn: Talk to us Dave.
Dave: Well it’s very odd. It’s like I’m awake for the first time. I see that till now I’ve been looking at everything upside down…or inside out. It’s really hard to describe. But it’s perfectly clear to me now what’s going on. I am the author. (he emphasizes the word “I”). The author lives through me – and I live through him.
Joe: Oh, oh. I think that Dave has gone off the deep end.
Kathryn: (very seriously) Dave, if you are the author did you create Joe and me?
Dave: (speaking to Kathryn and Joe) No. (Dave turns and looks directly at the audience.) Each of you is the author.

================================
Stage left darkens and stage right lights up.

Mary: So is that the end?
Christopher: Just about.
Sophie: Well don’t keep us in suspense. What happens next?
Christopher: At that point, the entire audience leaps to its feet and there is bedlam. Only one man keeps his head amidst the uproar. He clears his throat and a hush falls over the theatre. All eyes are on him.
Christopher: The man begins to speak. You could hear a pin drop. (As he says this, he begins walking slowly to the front of the stage. Kathryn, Dave and Joe move to the edge of their section of the stage and stare intently at Christopher as do Mary and Sophie in their section.)

==========================================
(The stage fades to semi darkness. The spotlight is on Christopher as he walks out to the front of the stage, between the two sections and addresses the audience).

Christopher: (raising a glass of red wine to the audience) I hope you all are enjoying my play. I am your author. And remember – all the world’s a stage and all the men and women merely players.

THE END

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swedenborg considered his theology a revelation of the true Christian religion that had become obfuscated through centuries of theology. He did not refer to his own writings as theology either, since unlike theology, it was wholly based on his actual experiences. Similarly, he also came to discard the study of philosophy, as it "darkens the mind, blinds us, and wholly rejects the faith".

Swedenborg's theology has its foundation in Arcana Caelestia, or Heavenly Secrets, published in eigth volumes from 1749 to 1756. In a significant portion of that work, he interprets Biblical passages. Most of all, he was convinced of how the Bible described a human's transformation from a materialistic to a spiritual being. So he begins his work with outlining how the creation myth was not an account about the creation of Earth, but an account of man's rebirth in six steps. Everything related to mankind could also be related to Jesus Christ, and how Christ freed himself from materialistic boundaries. In that spirit, Swedenborg dealt with Genisis and Exodus.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home