Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Prince Who Forgot He Was a Prince

The Prince Who Forgot He Was a Prince

A play in 3 acts.

ACT 1

It is evening and Uncle Jack and his niece Angela are sitting in the living room. It is almost bed time for Angela.

Angela: I’m glad you’re visiting us Uncle Jack.
Uncle Jack: Me too Angela. Would you like me to tell you a story before you go up to bed love?
Angela: Yes I would, very much.
Uncle Jack: Well, once upon a time there was a king who sent his son to a far away land on a very important mission – to find a pearl of great value and bring it back. The son agreed. He prepared and said goodbye to his mother and father…
Angela: “The king and the queen.”
Uncle Jack: Yes, and he went off with an adventurous spirit determined to do all he could to fulfill the task. But once he was settled into the new land he forgot his mission and eventually he even forgot that he was a royal prince.
Angela: That sounds sad - that he forgot.
Uncle Jack: Yes. And in this far off land he began to act very badly. He became very selfish and greedy and got into a lot of trouble. When he was completely at the bottom and at his rope’s end, he happened upon a man who he immediately did not like. This man was very cunning. But he seemed to know something about how to obtain a pearl of great value.
(Uncle Jack stops for a drink of water).
Angela: Please tell me more, Uncle Jack.
Uncle Jack: Well the prince did not want to have anything to do with this man. He disliked him. But the idea of the pearl attracted the prince.
Angela: “The prince who had forgotten he was a prince.”
Uncle Jack: Yes. So the prince asked the cunning man about the pearl. But the man would not tell the prince anything unless the prince would pay. So, our prince had to go out and work very hard to be able to pay for the knowledge that the man had for sale. After a while the prince had the money and returned to the man - but the cunning man now said that it would cost him double.
Angela: That doesn’t seem fair Uncle Jack.
Uncle Jack: Well, the prince also thought it was unfair and he was very upset. He vowed that he would not pay. But after a while he began to reason with himself and decided that he would accept what he thought was unfair and work to gain the additional money - which he did. He went back to the man to buy the knowledge. But now the man said that the prince would have to do more than pay the money. He would also have to work for him for a year to get the knowledge. The prince did not like it but agreed to the new deal. After a while the man gave the prince a task. The task was to care for the man’s dying mother. The prince did not argue and he cared for the woman. He looked after her and talked to her every day. She appreciated what he was doing and told him many stories. These stories did not make much sense to the prince at first. But after a while he began to understand them a little bit. He began to feel that there might be more to a life than he had previously thought. He even began to enjoy working with the man and it almost seemed that they were becoming like father and son. This certainly surprised the prince.
(Angela yawns).
Uncle Jack: Well love, we will have to finish the story tomorrow night.
Angela: No Uncle Jack, please tell me more.
Uncle Jack: Alright love – just a bit more… At the end of the year the prince asked the man about the pearl of great value. The prince offered him the money willingly. The man said that this was very special knowledge that required the student to have certain qualities. The man felt that the prince had these qualities now and he would tell him about the pearl.
Angela: It sounds like the prince had grown up a bit.
Uncle Jack: Yes. So the man began to teach the prince. He told him that every thing that the prince saw was just the surface of something much larger and grander. And that in fact, the importance and meaning of the thing lay in what was below the surface. Now the prince imagined that this meant that if he were to scrape the outside of anything that he would find the grander thing that his teacher was talking about. So he tried this on trees and pots but that led nowhere. So he asked his teacher about it. His teacher said that what was below the surface was the inner “life” of the object over time. He suggested that the prince try to imagine the life that the object had already had and would have. So the prince began to look at everything and imagine the life that the object had and would have. He even tried this with his own life.
Angela: This is hard to understand Uncle Jack.
Uncle Jack: Well for example, the prince would look at the table in their kitchen and see that at one time it was just an idea in someone’s mind. Then the builder assembled pieces of wood and made the table. Then he sold the table to the teacher’s family. They had used the table for years and would use it for many more years. Eventually it would be thrown out and burned. The teacher said that all of that was the inner “life” of that particular table.
Angela: I see. So let me imagine my own life. At first I was inside mom. Then I was born and was a tiny baby. And I have grown up to the age I am now. But that is not the end. I will grow up into an adult, perhaps get married and have children. I will become old and eventually die. All of that together would be my inner “life”?
Uncle Jack. That is very good love. Then the teacher told the prince that behind each life there was a reason. And the reason was only possible to see over time. For example the reason for a table is….
Angela: Let me try. The reason for a table is so that people can eat off of it. That is what the table builder had in mind right from the beginning. But what could the reason for someone’s life be?
Uncle Jack: A very good question love, but now you really must go to bed. We can continue tomorrow.
Angela: Good night Uncle Jack. Oh, Uncle Jack – tomorrow I will try to see the inner “life” of the things that I see.
Uncle Jack: OK. Good night love.

ACT 2
.
The next morning Angela and her mother are talking at breakfast. It is Saturday.

Mother: Have you cleaned your room Angela?
Angela: Why do I have to clean it? No one sees it. And it’s my room isn’t it?
Mother: Well young lady you will clean your room – and no back talk.
Angela: (sulking) OK, I will – but I think it is very unfair. (Angela looks like she has actually heard what she just said and that has an impact on her)
Mother: (trying to jolly her daughter and change the topic). So what are you going to do today? Will you be seeing your friend Clarissa?
Angela: (overcoming her sulk) Yes mom. We’re planning to play at the park, and then go to her place for lunch. Is that okay? Can I go after I do my room?
Mother: That would be fine. Please call me when you are at Clarissa’s house so I will know everything is okay.
Angela: I will….Mom…. I love you and I appreciate all that you have done for me all these years.
Mother: (almost speechless at hearing her daughter say something she had never said before). You’re welcome Angela. And dad and I love you very much too.
Angela: Well I’m off now. Bye Mom.

Angela and Clarissa meet at the park.

Clarissa: Hi Angela.
Angela. Hi Clarissa. How are you today?
Clarissa: Not too good. I feel lost. And no one likes me.
Angela: I like you. I like you a lot. How can you say that?
Clarissa: Sure, I know that, but …
Angela: But what?
Clarissa: Can I tell you a secret Angela?
Angela: Sure.
Clarissa: And you promise not to tell any one?
Angela: Cross my heart and hope to die.
Clarissa: Well I am worried that I will grow up and live my whole life and never do anything important. Sometimes I feel that I am wasting my life and that things will not get better.
Angela: (not quite sure what to say, since she has never had this feeling. She says nothing but strokes Clarissa’s shoulder.)
Clarissa: (seeming to appreciate her friend’s empathy). I like being with you Angela.
Angela: Clarissa, you’re a wonderful girl. Maybe it’s okay to have this feeling. I bet something will bubble up.
Clarissa: Yes I hope so.

Angela and Clarissa are at Clarissa’s house with Clarissa’s mom. They are having lunch.

Angela: Thank you very much for the lunch Mrs. Johanssen.
Mom: You’re welcome Angela. So what trouble did you and Clarissa get into this morning.
Clarissa: Mommm!
Angela: (defending her friend even though she knows that Clarissa’s mom is just teasing them). Well I wanted to get into trouble but Clarissa stopped me.
Mom: (smiling) I see.
Clarissa: (somewhat importantly) Angela and I were talking about life and other important things.
Mom: Is that so?
Clarissa: Mom, when you were young, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Mom: I wanted to be a world famous ballerina.
Clarissa: So are you unhappy that you had children and never became a world famous ballerina?
(Angela is listening intently).
Mom: Oh not at all. I would not give you and your brothers up for all the tea in China.
Clarissa: Why?
Mom: Well for me that was my destiny. I came to feel it. And my life is not over. I know that there are still wonderful things ahead. There is so much to learn.
Angela: Mrs. Johanssen. What is “destiny”?
Mom: I really cannot explain it. It just feels sometimes that something is there – moving below the surface in a certain direction. It’s more like a feeling. I cannot explain it.
Angela: Thanks Mrs. Johanssen. And thanks for the lunch. I‘d like to call my Mom now. I don’t want her to worry. May I use your phone?
Mom: Of course.

(Angela moves toward the phone and the lights fade.)

ACT 3

Evening of the same day. Uncle Jack and Angela are once again in the living room.

Uncle Jack: Well your mom says it’s time for bed.
Angela: Uncle Jack, will you please tell me more about the prince who forgot he was a prince?
Uncle Jack: Okay love. I will. Where were we?
Angela: Well the prince was learning that everything had a larger and grander life below the surface like a table or even a person’s life – like my own life. Did I get it right Uncle Jack?
Uncle Jack: Yes, very good love. So let us continue. Now the prince wanted to understand more. He was still not at all clear where the grander life was. He understood that each thing had a life but where to go from there he did not know. He knew that scraping something would not bring it to light. So he asked his teacher. His teacher told him that the grander thing below the surface, that existed over time, was the “soul” of the object.
Angela: That is not what I learned at Sunday School, Uncle Jack. I learned that if I was good, my soul would go to heaven when I died. And I even pray about that every night – I say:
“Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake
I pray the Lord my soul to take.”
Uncle Jack: That is one good way to think about it love. But let’s see where our story goes. Is that all right?
Angela: Okay.
Uncle Jack: So the teacher said that the “soul” of an object, the "soul" of a person, is something large and grand and lies below the surface of the entire “life” of the thing. And the soul is inside the thing or the person.
Angela: Like inside my stomach Uncle Jack?
Uncle Jack: No, not like that. Think about the love that you have for your Mom and Dad. That is inside you but in a very different way than being in your stomach. Do you know what I mean?
Angela: Yes, I love them very much and that love is not the same kind of thing as what is in my stomach or my arms or my legs. The love I have is inside me in a different, deeper way.
Uncle Jack: Yes. So his teacher told him that the “soul” of a person is “inside” the entire life of the person. And it has to do with the meaning or the purpose of the person’s life.
Angela: What does “purpose” mean?
Uncle Jack: Well, “purpose” means what the thing is intended for or the reason that it exists. And it is “inside” the thing. For example the purpose of the table is inside the table right from the beginning when it was just an idea in the builder’s mind, right up to the end of its “life”. And that is true for a person as well.
Angela: So the purpose or meaning of my life is inside me from the very beginning right through to the end? That is hard to understand Uncle Jack. Where can I find it in my body?

Uncle Jack: Well, where do you find the love you have for your Mom and Dad?
Angela: Oh yes, I forgot. The love is inside me but in a very different way. So my “soul” is inside me in a special kind of way. Am I right Uncle Jack?
Uncle Jack: That is a very good way to think of it love. And the good news is that you can actually feel this “soul” of yours.
Angela: I can? How?
Uncle Jack: Well this “soul” of yours is asleep right now and ….
Angela: (slightly indignantly) That’s not true Uncle Jack! I am awake and listening to you. I am not asleep!
Uncle Jack: Yes, I know. You’re awake, but your soul is asleep. But it can wake up. For example have you ever had a really strong emotion and you felt quite differently?
Angela: Yes, when my cat died. I was very sad. And I felt that everything was much more real. I was really aware that I was alive right there and then. It was a funny kind of feeling even though I was very sad.
Uncle Jack: Your soul was a little bit awake then.
Angela: So my soul is really me. My soul is my experience of me?
Uncle Jack: Yes. Does that feel right to you?
Angela: Yes it does. Can you tell me more?
Uncle Jack: The teacher told him that at first he could only wake up when his emotion was very strong.
Angela: Like when my cat died?
Uncle Jack: Yes. But that afterward he would be able to wake up even when his emotion was not so strong because he would learn from practice how to do it.
The teacher also told the prince that when his soul woke up - when he woke up - he would see everything in an entirely different way. Instead of just seeing things happen as they do on the surface he would also see them as coming from the grander soul below the surface and having a meaning related to that grander soul. So our prince tried for a long time to experience his “soul” – to be awake. And he learned much.
Angela: He is a hard worker. I admire him.
Uncle Jack: Then one day his teacher’s mother died. The prince was distraught because he had come to love the good woman. And a miracle happened - the prince woke up. He remembered who he really was and his mission. And he realized that, even though he had not known it, he had been searching for the pearl of great value all along.
Angela: That’s a beautiful story Uncle Jack. Thank you.

Uncle Jack: You’re welcome love. And I have a prayer for you for tomorrow morning.

Angela: Please tell me.

Uncle Jack: Here’s how it goes:
“Now as I rise up from my break,
I pray the Lord, my soul to wake.
And as I travel through my day,
I pray the Lord, to light my way. “

Angela: Can we say it together?

Uncle Jack and Angela together:
“Now as I rise up from my break,
I pray the Lord, my soul to wake.
And as I travel through my day,
I pray the Lord, to light my way. “

Uncle Jack: Amen.
Angela: Amen.

(The lights slowly fade as they end the prayer.)

The End

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought provoking play!

Sometimes I question if we have a purpose in life "a destiny" OR if we are just good at certain things which in turn becomes/creates our purpose.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Light said...

This play starts from a storyline quoted by Reyner in the book "The Gurdjieff Inheritance".

11:44 AM  
Blogger minorwork said...

Greetings, I quickly read your short plays. A neat way to impart ideas. If I read slowly, I am unable to concentrate on the gist of the message. I think I still have some Ouspensky stuff around the house here somewhere. Georgie, my wife, moves stuff when I'm not looking. My books are now 3 deep on shelves. Guess I'll have a yard book sale. I'll ask $100 for the good ones, just to get a conversation going. One of these times I might tell you about my wife and her role in my life. I think it would inspire a good renaissance painting or sculpture, Caravaggio or Bernini maybe.

1:07 AM  
Blogger Light said...

Thanks for you comment. perhaps we could talk more.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home